Tuesday 29 December 2020

Christmas 2020

 

A time for sharing?

Not this year.  We spent the most magical time of the year on our own.

Our son didn't understand.

Our daughter thought we were being overly cautious but was surprisingly understanding when we called to break the news.  Instead of decamping to Bournemouth (Tier 2) to spend Christmas with the grandchildren playing games, eating and drinking (too much) and laughing, we were alone in Sandhurst (Tier 4).

We decorated the trees (3) pottered around, went for a long sunny walk, cooked a bird in a bird in a bird instead of a turkey and watched TV.





We did join the family on Facebook and watched the children open their presents whilst we sat in bed with a cup of tea.  Later we chatted and played games like online Pictionary and did a Harry Potter/Ninjago quiz in between catching up.








In normal times it would be unheard of for us to miss a family Christmas.  Every year for as long as I can remember I have spent the day with some of my family.  Unless we were out of the country on a trip with Dad we would have had a full Christmas dinner and presents under the tree.








But after a year of being cautious about Covid we didn't want to take unnecessary risks for the sake of one day.  Even though the government guidelines said we could.  I just couldn't see their logic.  It would be such a shame after nine months of real vigilance for it to go down the drain for one day.  It's not worth it.  It also doesn't change the fact that indoor unventilated settings are the worst possible environment for the virus.

We just binge-watched Designated Survivor on Netflix and ate and drunk as much as we wanted without worrying about driving.  I am probably the most cautious person in my family.  But I don't care; it's worse if I infect someone than if I'm a bit overly cautious.  If I had spent Christmas with them I'd have felt guilty, coming from Tier 4, aware I might be spewing the newly, more contagious, mutated form  whilst we were all trying to have a good time.



It was not a typical Christmas, but nothing about 2020 has been typical.  And I still count myself lucky.  We didn't spend the 25th with the family, but we will definitely celebrate once we have the vaccine.  We might even do a second Christmas of  our own, perhaps on the beach with a tree and Christmas hats.  And I will drop a line to Father Christmas to see if those naughty Elfs on the Shelf - Elfie and Hugo - will be allowed to join us just for the day and it will be fun for the grandchildren to get a second round of gifts and I imagine there might even be some waiting for me too!

                                                     Mike taking a dip on Christmas Day!!
                                                      Sadly Phil could not join him!!!


















1 comment:

  1. Hi there very cool website!! Man .. Excellent .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your website and take the feeds additionally…I'm satisfied to seek out so many helpful information right here within the submit, we want work out extra strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing. deck handrail height

    ReplyDelete